News & Updates
July 11, 2017
Most people absolutely dread traveling. They get anxious about airports, lines, traffic, seats, getting sick, timing, delays, etc.
ME? Over the years I like to think I’ve become a travel guru. I’ve got my routine narrowed down to the bare essentials & rarely have trouble because that sense of anxiety is no longer with me.
Here’s a few of my MUST-HAVE travel items :
- Travel Aid – The TRAVELAID Immunity blend from LifeAid Beverage Co. delivers key vitamins & nutrients to help boost your immune system when you need it most. Vitamins A, C, and D, as well as Zinc, Echinachea, Astragalus & Valerian Root promote wellness & immune support. Chamomile & Lemon Balm help relax nerves while Ginger Root helps reduce stomach nausea. TRAVELAID
- Rodan + Fields Travel Packets – These convenient, single-use Micro-dermabrasion paste packets are a LIFE-SAVOR! Immediately after using, your skin will feel silky smooth and clear of dirt & grime. Once I hop off the plane, my immediate stop is to wash my face with one of these bad boys! R+F
- Sweat Stick – The Sweat Cosmetics twist brush + mineral foundation is super lightweight & withstands just about anything. The compactness of the brush makes it super easy to travel with and an easy touch-me-up in seconds with a quick twist! Sweat Cosmetics
- 2XU Recovery Tights – My 2XU recovery tights have been a game-changer while traveling! Not only are they light-weight, so you don’t have the dreaded “swamp-ass”, BUT, they’ve got super-secret stamping technology that helps direct blood flow to your leg muscles (aka no swollen cank-les!) 2XU Tights
Whether it’s for business, pleasure, world domination (you name it), we all leave our nests eventually. Either for a quick trip a few states over or perhaps half-way across the country, a few things remain unchanged…
- If you work out at a gym/box, you suddenly may not have access to your precious equipment.
- If you usually prepare your own meals, suddenly you don’t have a kitchen, fridge, tupperware, etc.
- If you’re used to a good nights sleep, suddenly you are in a new time zone/not your own bed 🙁
Luckily, these items can be combated with a few tips & tricks. The key to traveling is to try to stay as close to your normal routine as possible & when you just simply can’t, figure it the fuck out!
Use your travel time to introduce NEW training/exercises to your routines. If you generally smash heavy weights, your body could probably use a good jog or long session of stretching & lengthening the muscles. Instead of looking at your trip as an excuse to not workout whatsoever, try something different!
If you’re driving to your destination, good for you, you can put a little extra effort in on the front-end & have all your meals packed & ready to go! If you’re flying, unfortunately TSA is not a fan of our incessant tupperwares & smelly broccoli 🙂 In this case, it’s important for you to stay extremely hydrated – the salt/preservatives you’ll find in airport/plane food is excessive and can cause you to feel extremely bloated. Once you reach your destination, try to find a local market where you can grab some fresh fruit & veggies, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal and some peanut butter for your stay.
Though I don’t have a magic secret for beating a time-zone change, I can say that drinking plenty of water + meditating have done wonders for helping me to feel rested & adjust to new surroundings. Take at least 10 minutes each night to mediate before bed. Bonus: If possible, bring a mini bottle of lavender oil with you & place a few droplets in your pillows – this will help relax you after a long day of traveling & help you to fall asleep faster.
July 11, 2017
A Letter To The Team
July 11, 2017
So Fresh & So Clean
There is no such thing as a bad time to make a fresh start. Sometimes we think that a fresh start is an all or nothing game, which can intimidate us into not taking action at all. A fresh start doesn’t mean you have to wipe the slate clean, leave everything you have come to know, and set out on some unprecedented adventure which could leave you with less than what you started with. A fresh start can begin one weakness at a time, one new habit at a time, one day at a time, or even one year at a time.
A fresh start is a simple commitment to changing something you consistently do so that the cumulative result is a positive and permanent reinvention of yourself. Don’t get caught up in the past, don’t adhere to your labels or prior failures, and don’t worry about whatever your reputation may or may not be. Your fresh start lives and dies with a solemn belief in your character, which is holding true to the values you know represent you, and everything else is merely what other people think.
Fend off the intimidation of a fresh start with a plan of action which focuses on what is important right now, with a clear perspective as to how you are going create a cumulative change in the future. Open yourself up to what needs to change in order for you to reach your purpose, and make it your purpose to open yourself up to change. Create an unrelenting momentum one improvement at a time, with a respect for the past but not a focus on it, and start fresh today because “Ain’t nobody dope as me, I’m dressed so fresh, so clean.” – Outkast-CPT Ryan
July 11, 2017
I find that when it comes to fitness & my career in the field – people have two ways of thinking. They either think I am SOLELY a CrossFitter & that I have absolutely no idea how to do anything beyond that type of sport OR that I excel at every workout I’ve ever tried, whether it be yoga, running, martial arts, etc.
The truth is NEITHER of these are correct. I used to think that since I was in this realm of fitness I had to love every single type of workout I ever tried if I was to truly be considered an “athlete” or “fitness-er” of some sort. I’ve indulged in a smorgasbord of fitness endeavors in my time as an athlete – while some left me inspired & eager for more (CrossFit & Weightlifting), others left me demoralized & bored.
Exercise is not a one-style-fits-all proposition. Not every workout is suited or enjoyable for everyone. It seems logical but is an easy concept to throw out the window when your BFF swears up and down that pilates melted the pounds right off her body & you’re wondering if this is FINALLY the answer for you too. But if intense stretching & slow movement is not your thing, you aren’t going to stick with it no matter what your best friend says.
In my own life, I’ve definitely had my girlfriend preach about how fun & hardcore Zumba is. Naturally, as the hard-headed individual that I am, determined to prove I’m athletic in ANY arena, I gave it a shot. Unfortunately, rhythmically I couldn’t keep up & this was a huge blow to my ego – so of course, I didn’t return to zumba for another ego-ass beating and that’s OK. Remember, for an exercise method to be sustainable it needs to please your body & mind + get you closer to achieving your goal & thus, these methods are different for EVERYBODY.
Take some time to try out a few different types of workouts & find your own perfect FIT!
July 11, 2017
Love Yourself MORE!
We all have those days where we wake up, take a look in the mirror, and just see faults. You nit pick every single little thing – whether it’s imperfections in your skin or dimples on your butt – you identify these things that take away from all your hard work at the gym & in the kitchen.
You’re not alone! Even the most ELITE athletes criticize themselves & pick out flaws that NO ONE else sees. We are masters of negative thinking when it comes to body image. We are truly our own worst enemies (us & that damn mirror!).
Teaching your mind to love the skin you’re in is JUST as important (if not more important) that learning proper exercise form & how to eat well for your body.
Luckily, this negative way of thinking can be easily corrected! Here are a few ways to train your mind to love yourself:
1. Praise the Good: Rather than focusing on the things you wish you could change about yourself – focus on the things you LOVE – maybe its your pearly white smile, your killer long legs, your luscious hair – whatever it is, praise the hell out of it! Write these things down. Create a list with all the things you’re happy with & give these things the full attention they deserve. Everyone, literally EVERYONE has things they wish they could change about themselves, but there is no good on harping on these – take the bits & pieces that you love & praise them for all their glory 🙂
2. Remove Criticism: When we are in a critical state of mind we likely attack others while attacking ourselves. It’s not pretty & it’s certainly not something anyone wants to be around. If you’re striving for rock hard abs, chances are you will be hateful and/or envious towards those who already have a 6 pack & negative towards those who are lacking in the ab department. A critical state of mind only snowballs your thoughts, feelings, and actions in a deep dark spiral….remove this criticism from your mind & see what happens!
3. Focus on YOU as a person (not image): Sure, it’s nice to have a kickass body but it doesn’t make a lick of difference if you have a shitty personality & nothing to show for it. As cliche as it might sound, what’s inside COUNTS! Your body image is just one tiny, itsy bitsy part of who you are – don’t let it define you! Spend some time this week working on your inner pieces – your confidence, learning new skills, sharpening your mind – chances are by focusing on yourself as a “whole” your spirits will raise & you’ll find yourself enjoying life from a happier place.
4. Live your Life: Our lives are SO valuable. What kind of life are we living if we spend every waking moment criticizing ourselves? Think about all the opportunities you could be missing out on. Don’t let life pass you by because you don’t want to take your shirt off at the pool, or you don’t feel comfortable in shorts at the gym – we only get one life, so live it to the fullest!
July 11, 2017
Embrace The “Suck”
Everything you want in life will always have a suck factor associated with it. “The Suck” lives everywhere. It lives in the worst case scenario, the mediocre case scenario, and even in the best case scenario. Sometimes “The Suck” is immediately apparent, showing itself before you even start your journey. Sometimes “The Suck” will lull you into a false sense of security, making you think your journey is all sunshine and rainbows, until it reveals itself unexpectedly in the eleventh hour. But the only way to defeat “The Suck”, is to embrace “The Suck”.
To embrace “The Suck” is to trust in the fact that success is born of strife, struggle, and shortcomings. “The Suck” is that knot in the pit of your stomach before you break through your comfort zone. It’s the spinning in your head when you’re overwhelmed, the monotony of countless repetitions, the late nights, early mornings, and those times where you question if it’s all even worth it. Embracing “The Suck” is allowing yourself to feel all those things, but accepting it is part of the process, and that there is growth on the other side of it.
Whatever suck you are experiencing right now, embrace it. There will come a time where you will miss “The Suck” because you will miss what it brought out in you. “The Suck” will expose a side of you that is a fighter, a survivor, a motivator, and a grinder. The exponential self-discovery you will experience in the midst of “The Suck” will be unmatched in any other venue, so get comfortable with it. Seek “The Suck” out, hunt it down, chase after it, and once you find it (or it finds you), embrace it, because “The Suck” isn’t going anywhere, and it’s only mission is to show you what you’re made of. – CPT Ryan
July 11, 2017
How To Ride The Wave
Since I’ve been in the most creative light, working on writing my second book, I find myself digging deeper into quotes and/or thoughts that I come across on a daily basis. A few days ago, I read a quote that said “Your wave is coming.” It made me think…if you’re sitting still in the water, the wave will come up behind you, lifting you up to see the world from a different view…you feel a certain, unexplainable rush…but you don’t have enough momentum to ride that wave through. You may start to frantically paddle trying to catch up to the wave or you may just sulk, floating aimlessly, without direction. If we are going to “catch the wave”, we have to be moving FORWARD. We can never be certain where the wave is going to take us but if we are moving forward regardless, we have enough momentum to catch it when it does come.
From there, there is this beautiful (actually quite magical) balance of power. Yes, we are surfing it (or as I prefer – boogie-boarding it) to the best of our ability so that our bodies feel that we are in control – but, we can’t control how fast, how slow, whether it’s going to end, whether someone is going to get in our way, or how long we’re going to be able to ride it.
No matter what, whatever the ride, we are in a new space – where we can chose to sit still…..or catch the next one!
*Photo by Paul Buceta*
July 11, 2017
The Laws Of Attraction
The laws of attraction are quite simple & an age old premise. You attract what your mind thinks. The people, places, things, feelings, that enter your life are a direct reflection of what you think internally, in that big, beautiful brain of yours.
If you think people are not trustworthy, you will attract dishonest people. If you are focused on sickness, you will attract illness…and so on.
Everything you hold in your conscious becomes evident in your reality. It’s that simple & that complex all at the same time.
If you want to have a good life, to be at peace with yourself & your surroundings, you have to focus on the good. Thus, you will attract the good 🙂 And you have to do this for more than a week at a time. You can’t be positive pete for an entire week and turn into negative nelly the very next. Consistency is key. It’s how your brain operates, how you think on a daily basis – that’s how you change what magnates towards you.
This week, this year, for the rest of your life – try to see the good in people, see wealth, see health, focus on the beauty of everything in your life, not the ugly.
July 11, 2017
Audacity of the Grind
Audacity is the central ingredient to success which will empower every facet of your character to pursue greatness. It is the spark to the idea which will allow you to manifest a thought into a vision. It sets the bar high, forces you to exit your comfort zone, and demands you put up or shut up. When used properly, it allows you to tell the world what it is you really want, setting into motion the law of attraction, and creating opportunity out of aspiration.
Audacity is boldly acting upon something that typically goes against previously accepted social norms. By definition it implies you will face adversity and naysayers, which usually goes hand in hand with achieving success. It is not just boisterous words and an arrogant demeanor, it is an absolute, outright, and unconditional belief in something the rest of the world may not yet see. It is work while others play, it is the grind while others whine, and it is sweat while others sleep. It is the whole package, not just the prediction.
Your grind and your job may not always be synonymous, however. More likely than not, your job will fall into a socially acceptable norm. But your grind is where audacity lives. Your grind falls outside of the normal day-to-day, nine-to-five, which is occupied by average. It is that place where people stop feeling comfortable and start becoming pessimistic, but remember that the grind will always be audacious, and audacity will always be a grind. So breathe life into your grind by fueling it with an audacious vision, a resolute purpose, and a decisive drive, and create your new reality out of relentlessness. – CPT Ryan
July 11, 2017
It seems that whenever it starts to get chilly out, we get an extra 2 reasons to not get moving….
1. Either it’s too cold outside & you can’t possibly function to make it to the car to head to the gym or your only option is to train outside which would simply be unbearable.
2. Our clothes are so covering that it doesn’t really matter the extra bit of winter fluff we gain, I mean it’s not bikini season right!?
This year I challenge you to not let the winter months get the best of you reaching your goals! Summer bodies are made in the winter – if you put in the work on the front-end, I guarantee you life will be much more enjoyable come April when you’re planning your next beach trip.
Luckily I have a few moves that you can do from the comfort of your own home to break a sweat no matter how cold it is…
These are 4 of my favorite, fat-blasting full-body moves for Winter:
1. Burpees – love them or hate them, burpees are one of the greatest full body movements that can be done quick & efficiently to get your heart rate up! Remember, chest touches the floor & clap overhead while jumping up in a full standing position. Set a timer for 2 minutes and do as many as possible 🙂
2. Wall Walks – these can be challenging but extremely fulfilling when done properly! Use any empty wall or door in your home to try these suckers. Start lying on your belly, hands under chest with your heels pressed against the wall, push yourself up into a plank position, take a big step up the wall & start climbing with your legs. These are a core & shoulder smoker! Try to complete 5 sets of 2-4 (depending on your level).
3. Jumping Lunges – adding a dynamic element to a simple body weight movement can really kick the intensity up a notch! Try adding a jump to your lunges by switching your legs in mid-air, keep your hands on your hips for balance & rhythm! Start with 4 sets of 15 reps and work your way up to 25 reps!
4. Mountain Climbers – these can be done one of two ways, for speed or for jumping. For speed, your feet should alternate landing on the inside of your hands. For jumping, your feet should move simultaneously, landing on the outside of your hands with a flat food. Try completing 40 of each variation – happy climbing!
Not sure how to put these moves together? Here’s a workout for you combining all 4 movements :